Planning for 2020-21
Updated Reopening Plan: August 5, 2020
Loomis Chaffee will reopen campus in a phased approach for the 2020–21 school year. Head of School Sheila Culbert shared this decision with students, parents, faculty, and staff on August 5 following a meeting with the school's Board of Trustees.
Our goal is to welcome students back to campus over time as conditions related to the COVID-19 pandemic allow. Those conditions as well as related issues, including the availability of reliable and rapid COVID-19 testing, may require adjustments to this plan as the year unfolds. As always, the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff will guide all of our planning.
Earlier this summer we reconfigured our calendar and daily schedule to allow us to provide a hybrid academic and extracurricular/community model that will enable us to continue to deliver an excellent Loomis Chaffee experience to all students. Our faculty has been preparing this summer to teach both online and in person, placing high priority on minimizing differences in the experiences of all students. And our Student Life team has been working with faculty and staff across campus to develop a program that will help maintain the strong community for which Loomis is known.
Please review the plan details below and refer to our FAQ section for more information.
Fall Term I (September 1–October 9): Day students and boarders who can and would like to commute may come to campus for in-person classes. Boarding students who are unable or choose not to commute to campus will learn remotely along with any day students who do not want to attend classes on campus.
Fall Term II (October 14–November 20): After the third week of Fall Term I (mid-September), the school will assess where Connecticut and the rest of the country are with the spread, containment, and treatment of COVID-19 as well as our own ability to test our on-campus population in a timely fashion. If that assessment and our experience with Fall Term I support the opening of our dormitories, we will begin to welcome back some boarding students for Fall Term II. Which groups of boarding students will return to campus for this phase will be determined at the time of the assessment for Fall Term II.
Winter and Spring Terms: Given the rapidly evolving pandemic, it is too early to make decisions beyond November. As a reminder, all students will be online for the first two weeks of Winter Term I (December 2–15).
The school's goal is to welcome all our students back to campus as soon as conditions allow. We feel strongly that the plan for a phased return is the best one given current conditions. Our faculty and staff have been preparing for this hybrid model for months and look forward to engaging with all our students and families — both in person and online — soon.
(updated August 5, 2020)
- Who is allowed back on campus for in-person classes during Fall Term I?
- Can a day student elect to learn online during Fall Term I?
- How do day students let the school know if they want to be online for the first term, and how do boarders who want to commute during the first term do the same?
- Will students be required to submit a negative COVID-19 test before attending classes on campus?
- Where can my child get the required COVID-19 test?
- Will additional testing be required during Fall Term I?
- Will the school require a daily health check for students?
- Will students be required to wear masks on campus?
- Will students need to provide their own masks?
- Is there a required quarantine for students who attend classes on campus?
- How will the school enforce its health & safety requirements?
- What are the arrival dates for students attending on-campus classes?
- Will there be a new student orientation program?
- Where will students hang out during the day between and after classes?
- Will the dining hall be open Fall Term I?
- Will there be afterschool activities?
- Will there be an interscholastic athletics program in the fall?
- Will there be athletics programs for students who are not involved in interscholastics sports?
- What measures has the school taken to make the on-campus student experience safe?
- I would like to talk with other families in my area about their plans. How can I reach them?
- Does the school recommend that families carpool or use van services for transportation to and from campus?
Connecticut has a site locator www.211.org that is really helpful (you can even search for asymptomatic test sites). Parents outside of Connecticut should check with their local or state department of health website and/or their pediatric medical provider for assistance locating an appropriate test site. Remember, the test must be administered no more than seven days before registration on August 31.
- Why are boarding students required to learn online during Fall Term I?
- How do boarders who want to commute during the first term let the school know?
- What will the online learning experience look like? Will it be similar to the online program last spring?
- How will the school design online schedules for students living in different time zones?
- How do I get my books and supplies for my Fall Term I classes?
- When will I get my schedule?
- Will there be a new student orientation program?
- How will new students in the distance learning program make the transition to Loomis?
- How will online students connect with teachers for extra help?
- Will online students have access to the resources in the Learning Access & Student Achievement Office (formally known as the Learning Resource Center)?
- Will online students have access to the Quantitative Resource Center (QRC), Writing Studio, and other support programs?
- How will online students connect with each other and students learning on campus?
- Will there be athletics programs for online students?
- When will the school open the dormitories?
- Will all boarding students be invited back to campus for Fall Term II?
- For boarders who will be online during Fall Term I, will the school credit their room and board fee for the term?
- Tuition 2020-21
- When is the first tuition payment due?
- How do I change my payment plan with FACTS to reflect the new tuition?
- How do I change my loan amount at Your Tuition Solutions?
- My boarding student will only live on campus for a few terms this coming year. Do I pay the full-year room & board fee?
- Does the school have a refund policy if my child is not able to reside on campus for any portion of the school year?
- My boarding student will be a distant learner all year. Do I have to pay the room & board fee?
- Will there be a partial refund of tuition if the school is required to close campus and move all classes online?