Planning for 2020-21
Several questions below were updated on January 15, 2021. Please look for a note "UPDATED 1/15/2021" for new information.
Plan for Winter Term 2 (February 1–March 8)
On January 8, Head of School Sheila Culbert announced that the school is on track to return to in-person learning for Winter Term 2, which runs from February 1 through March 8. Our current plan is to bring boarding students back to campus the weekend of January 30–31; hold online classes for everyone the first week of the term, February 1–5, while boarding students complete a modified five-day quarantine on campus; and then resume in-person classes for everyone on February 8.
Key to a successful and safe transition back to an in-person community experience will be testing and compliance with all safety protocols. Please review the information below carefully. Additional details and reminders will be posted here and emailed to families in the weeks leading up to the start of Winter Term 2.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff will continue to guide the school's planning. If conditions dictate that the school change its plans for the coming term, students, parents, faculty, and staff will be notified by email.
(updated January 8, 2021)
FAQs: Winter Term 2
1. Will the school hold in-person classes during Winter Term 2?
Yes. All students — boarding and day — are welcome to return to campus for in-person classes during Winter Term 2.
2. Will the school offer online classes during Winter Term 2?
Yes. Students who cannot return to school due to travel restrictions and/or health concerns may choose to continue their studies online.
3. Can a student decide to stay online for Winter Term 2 and then return to in-person classes for Spring Term 1?
Yes, but because the school is open for in-person classes during Winter Term 2, a boarding student who had planned to be on campus but decides to stay online will still be responsible for Winter Term 2 room and board.
4. What are the dates for Winter Term 2?
Winter Term 2 will begin on Monday, February 1, and will end on Monday, March 8. Boarding students will move back to campus the weekend of January 30-31. Please refer to the updated calendar for the dates of Winter Term 2 and Spring Term 1 and 2.
5. NEW 1/15/2021: What are the Winter Term 2 move-in dates and times for boarding students?
Boarding students will move back to campus the weekend of January 30-31. Families are asked to follow the schedule below so the school can best manage arrival testing and the number of people on campus. If you can't move in at your assigned date/time, please contact your dean. Information about where to check in when you arrive on campus will be sent to boarding families the week before your return to campus.
- Saturday, January 30, 2-4 p.m.: International students, RAs, and prefects
- Sunday, January 31, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: All other boarding students with last names A-M
- Sunday, January 31, 1:30-4 p.m.: All other boarding students with last names N-Z
6. How do I let the school know my child's plans for Winter Term 2?
Similar to past terms, all families will be asked to complete a survey indicating if their child will be taking classes online or in person for Winter Term 2. That survey will be emailed to families on Monday, January 11.
7. UPDATED 1/15/2021: Will there be COVID-19 testing and/or other requirements for students prior to arrival on campus for Winter Term 2?
Yes. All students must present a negative PCR test before returning to campus. Details about pre-arrival testing were emailed to parents and students on Thursday, January 14. Read more.
Additionally, all students must commit to best practices pertaining to COVID-19 prevention starting on January 25. This means remaining at home unless absolutely necessary (such as a visit to a medical professional); monitoring their health via the REACH app and letting the Health Center know if they have any symptoms consistent with COVID-19; wearing a mask around those outside the family unit if that interaction is unavoidable; not participating in group gatherings, including sport practices or games; washing hands regularly; and practicing social distancing.
8. Why is the school requiring a modified quarantine for boarding students during the first week of Winter Term 2?
The modified quarantine will allow our students to meet the requirements of the state of Connecticut travel advisory as well as provide an additional level of safety for the boarding community and the community overall.
9. What will the modified quarantine look like?
For their first week on campus, boarding students will spend the majority of time in their rooms and on their floors, including when they are engaging in their classes online. We will create opportunities for them to leave their dormitories with their floor and hallmates for daily physical activity as well as for other events. Our goal is to emerge from quarantine with a strong level of confidence that there is no COVID-19 in our boarding community.
10. When can day students return to campus?
Like boarding students, day students will complete their first week of classes online. Day students can return to campus for in-person classes and other school activities starting on February 8.
11. What will on-campus safety protocols look like in Winter Term 2?
All students, faculty, and staff will follow safety protocols similar to those that were in place during Fall Term 2. These include wearing masks, social distancing, and frequent hand washing. More details will be available in the agreement students and parents will receive the week of January 11 and on the website that same week.
12. Will boarding students be allowed to leave campus or have visitors during Winter Term 2?
As in Fall Term 2, boarding students will not be allowed to leave campus or have visitors come to campus during Winter Term 2. At this time, boarding students will not be able to leave campus during the brief breaks between terms. The school will reassess these guidelines before each new term begins and make any modifications as conditions allow.
(updated January 15, 2021)
- UPDATED 1/15/2021: Are there after-school activities?
- UPDATED 1/15/2021: Will there be an interscholastic athletics program in the winter?
- UPDATED: 1/15/2021: Are there athletics programs for students who are not involved in interscholastics sports?
- What is the school's policy in Winter Term 2 regarding student participation in off-campus programs including club sports?
- UPDATED 1/15/2021: Are there athletics programs for online students?
- Are students required to wear masks on campus?
- Do students need to provide their own masks?
- Are there additional health & safety protocols students are expected to follow?
- Is there a required daily health check?
- How will the school enforce its health & safety requirements?
- When is the Health Center open?
- What measures has the school taken to make the on-campus experience safe?
- Are students required to have a flu shot?
- Where can students hang out during the day between and after classes?
- I would like to talk with other families in my area about their plans. How can I reach them?
- Does the school recommend that families carpool or use van services for transportation to and from campus?
- What are the campus hours for in-person learners?
- Are day and commuting students allowed to eat breakfast in the dining halls?
- What does the online learning experience look like?
- How can online students connect with teachers for extra help?
- Do online students have access to the resources in the Learning Access & Student Achievement Office (formally known as the Learning Resource Center)?
- Do online students have access to the Quantitative Resource Center (QRC), Writing Studio, and other support programs?
- How will online students connect with each other and students learning on campus?
- Will Loomis offer online classes in Winter Term 2?
- For boarders who will be online during Fall Term I, will the school credit their room and board fee for the term?
- Tuition 2020-21
- When is the first tuition payment due?
- How do I change my payment plan with FACTS to reflect the new tuition?
- How do I change my loan amount at Your Tuition Solutions?
- My boarding student will only live on campus for a few terms this coming year. Do I pay the full-year room & board fee?
- Does the school have a refund policy if my child is not able to reside on campus for any portion of the school year?
- My boarding student will be a distant learner all year. Do I have to pay the room & board fee?
- Will there be a partial refund of tuition if the school is required to close campus and move all classes online?