Modern & Classical Languages
Languages are doorways into other worlds.Language courses at Loomis Chaffee equip you to explore and understand life in lands beyond your home. Through interactive communicative experiences and deep cultural study, under the guidance of our knowledgeable and caring faculty, you will develop skills essential for positive global citizenship in today’s world.
- We offer instruction in five languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Latin, and Spanish.
- All courses focus on linguistic proficiency side-by-side with cultural literacy.
- Modern language classes emphasize oral proficiency and aim to prepare students to converse comfortably with native speakers.
- Courses in Latin focus on the skills needed to appreciate Latin prose and poetry. Special attention is given to political and societal movements in the late Republic and early Empire.
- Students in fifth-year French, Latin, and Spanish have flexible course choices for one, two, or three terms of the year. Each term course focuses on a specific geographic region or artistic genre (ex: French Cinema, Roman Comedy, Latin American short stories.)