Summer Reading 2022
At Loomis Chaffee, we believe Summer Reading is an essential and enriching part of each student's experience. All students will have three Summer Reading requirements. On this site, each tab will go into detail about each of these requirements.
- All-School Read
- Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta.
- Grade-Level and Class Requirements
- English teachers will be engaging the required grade-level book in a substantive way, so you will need to bring your own annotated copy with you to campus in the fall.
- U.S. History and CL U.S. History students also will have an additional assignment.
- Book Chat Selection
- While the all-school read and your grade-level book promise to be interesting and thought-provoking and maybe even future all-time favorites, we also want to give you the opportunity to read one book that you choose from a list of options provided by departments and centers on campus. In early September, you will gather with fellow students, faculty, and staff who have read the same book for a fun Book Chat. Once you have chosen a book, please fill out the Book Chat submission form so we can plan for the Book Chats.
While these are the three Summer Reading requirements for Loomis Chaffee students, summer is a wonderful time to read to explore your own interests. To help you select more titles to read, each department and center on campus has created a list of recommended titles that you might also enjoy reading. You can find that list in the Recommended Reads section toward the bottom of this page. Have a relaxing summer and happy reading!
- Alvord Center
- College Office
- Deans Office
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- English — Freshmen
- English — Sophomore
- English — Junior
- English — Senior/PG
- Head of School
- History, Philosophy, and Religious Studies
- International Students
- Katharine Brush Library
- Modern and Classical Languages
- Norton Center
- Pearse Hub for Innovation
- Performing Arts
- Social Science
- Visual Arts