Norton Fellows Program
The Norton Fellows program is designed to offer a select group of Loomis students the opportunity to pursue their interests and become more engaged with their local communities over the summer break.
Elizabeth Herman '17 and Erika Herman '17 designed and built musical instruments from reclaimed materials to promote sustainability and enhance the beauty of public pathways at a nature conservancy in New Jersey.
The selection committee seeks projects that demonstrate a commitment to exploring the intersection of the best self and the common good. Projects should be scaled for summer break, structured practically, and budgeted appropriately.
Beyond the viability of their projects, applicants should also demonstrate their own strong character, maturity, dependability, and good communication skills.
The committee will accept applications from rising seniors and juniors only (Classes of 2019 and 2020). Following the successful implementation of their projects, the Norton Fellows will then serve the following academic year as models of engaged citizenship, community-mindedness, and purposeful education. This commitment can take many different forms and will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
All application materials are due by Monday, April 2. Committee decisions will be released no later than Tuesday, May 1. The committee may reach out to applicants during the month of April to request additional information or to discuss ways to make their proposals more viable.
To be a Norton Fellow, a student must accomplish all of the following:
- Complete the application process by April 2, 2018;
- Design a four- to six-week summer project that connects directly to themes surrounding the common good;
- Implement the project over the summer of 2018, remaining in close contact with Mr. LaForest and Mrs. Pond;
- Adapt and apply their experiences to campus life upon return in the fall of 2018, significantly impacting our community in the process.
- Letter of Recommendation from a member of the Loomis faculty by April 2 (submitted directly via email to Eric_LaForest@loomis.org);
- Letter of Recommendation from a mentor not associated with Loomis by April 2 (submitted directly via email to Eric_LaForest@loomis.org);
- Preliminary Budget (downloaded, saved, and submitted directly via email to Eric_LaForest@loomis.org);