LC Scholars Program
A select cadre of incoming freshman who demonstrate an exceptional pattern of achievement, leadership qualities, and a predisposition to favorably impact the common good are named to the LC Scholars Program. Through this program, Scholars are given ongoing mentorship, a funded international travel experience, summer enrichment, and more. Each year, Loomis enrolls approximately six freshmen as LC Scholars, a distinction they hold throughout their four years at Loomis. All 9th grade applicants will automatically be considered for this program.
LC Scholars experience numerous enrichment and leadership opportunities and participate in meetings with each other, the head of school, and other leaders in the community during the course of their four years on the Island. LC Scholars will be encouraged to pursue additional enrichment opportunities through the Norton Family Center for the Common Good and the Alvord Center for Global Studies & Environmental Studies.
During the summer between sophomore and junior years, LC Scholars receive a funded opportunity to travel abroad either through the Alvord Center for Global & Environmental Studies or another comparable program of the scholar’s choosing. In recent years, LC Scholars have traveled to Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba, France, Fiji, Ghana, Italy, Morocco, Spain, Thailand, and more.
LC Scholars are invited to attend the Loomis Chaffee Summer Program (LCSP) for either three or five weeks tuition-free prior to the start of their freshman year. This opportunity positions freshman Scholars to thrive the moment they arrive in September for the academic year while also providing them with the chance to interact, bond, and study alongside with other current and incoming students.
Since 2012, LC Scholars have matriculated to highly-selective colleges and universities, including Brown, Colby, Dartmouth, Middlebury, Princeton, Pomona, University of Pennsylvania, University of Chicago, Stanford, Wellesley, Williams, and Yale.
- How do I apply to be selected as an LC Scholar?
- Should I submit supplementary materials in order to enhance my chances for this program?
- What criteria is used to select the LC Scholars?
- How will I find out if I am selected as an LC Scholar?
- Can my child apply to be an LC Scholar if he/she is applying for 10th or 11th grade?
- My family is worried about paying for an independent school education. Will this program help us afford Loomis Chaffee?
- If my family does not need financial aid, am I still eligible to become an LC Scholar?
- How do I learn more about the Summer Program experience for LC Scholars?
Yes. We do not want finances to limit your Loomis experience. Therefore, LC Scholars receive a laptop and stipend to defray the cost of books and other fees. If your family applies and qualifies for need-based financial aid, you are eligible for additional funding to defray the cost of tuition.