Summer 2020 Web Extras
Addressing Systemic Racism
Learn more about Loomis Chaffee’s diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives and ongoing work.
Planning for a Return to Campus
See the most up-to-date plans for the 2020–21 school year.
View videos of graduation remarks by Head of School Sheila Culbert, Commencement Speaker Pauline Chen ’82, and Class Speaker Ryan Jones; see the list of graduating seniors and prize recipients; and view tributes to and celebrations of the graduates on the Loomis Chaffee Class of 2020 Celebration webpage.
Students Research Environmental Sustainability
View a video about senior Portia Inzone’s launch of the Green Bean pop-up coffee shop.
Read about last year’s Norton Fellowship projects and their outcomes.
Poetry from Quarantine
Visit the websites of several alumni poets who participated in the Poetry from Quarantine series in April:
Joyce Sidman ’74
Sam Amadon ’98
Kassidi Jones ’14
COVID-19 Speakers Series
Connect to Loomis’ COVID-19 Speakers Series webpage.
Watch recordings of each webinar in the COVID-19 Speakers Series:
- “Pandemics: Before, During, and After COVID-19” with Dr. Juan Salazar, physician-in-chief at Connecticut Children’s
- “A Historical Overview of Pandemics and How They Changed Our History” with Sheila Culbert, historian and head of school.
- “Medical Systems: Constraints & Opportunities” with Dr. Pauline Chen ’82
- “Financial and Global Ramifications of COVID-19” with Jonathan Kelly ’81, portfolio manager at Fidelity Management
- “Social Inequality and COVID-19” with RuthAnne Visnauskas ’92, commissioner/CEO of New York State Homes and Community Renewal
- “Silver Linings and Looking Ahead” with Paul Mounds Jr. ’03, chief of staff for Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont
National Podcast Contest
Read about the winners of the New York Times Podcast Contest, including “The One Act,” a top-eight submission by three Loomis Chaffee juniors.
News on the Web
Read the digital version of The Log.
Enjoy the Spring 2020 edition of The Loom.
View a digital version of Cultural Outburst, the annual multicultural celebration at Loomis Chaffee that was reimagined as a multimedia digest during the pandemic.
Global & Environmental Achievement
Connect to a video about Global & Environmental Studies students’ efforts during the pandemic last spring.
See a selection of capstone projects and online portfolios by seniors who earned Global & Environmental Studies Certificates last spring:
- Kavya Kolli: kavyakolli.weebly.com
- Anya Sastry: www.anyasastry.com/global-environmental-studies-certificate
- Michelle Park: michellesuminpark.weebly.com
- Kristin Santana: kristinsantana.weebly.com
- Griffen Malkin: gsfmgesc.weebly.com
On to the Next Chapter
Read a story about Fred Seebeck and Ed Pond’s long coaching collaboration.
Watch a video about online learning with Associate Head of School Webb Trenchard and Director of the Kravis Center for Excellence in Teaching Sara Deveaux.
See episodes of “In the Loop,” a weekly, student-created videocast from the spring term.
Enjoy a faculty music video produced during the spring on Zoom.
View recordings of the COVID-19 Speakers Series webinars.
Access two online student art exhibits from the spring term:
Learn about a day in senior Makayla McPherson’s life at Loomis.
Find out more about the LC Scholars Program.