Loomis Chaffee is a welcoming, safe community of students and faculty — a "home away from home" for more than 500 boarding students and faculty. As a boarding student on "The Island" you will establish strong relationships living and learning alongside peers, faculty, coaches, and mentors.
— Quick Stats —
In-Dorm Faculty Families
DORM faculty AFFILIATES
The red brick dorms at Loomis are situated around three residential tree-lined quads and courtyards. Each dorm is home to between 30 and 50 students. The majority of dorm rooms are configured as doubles or singles. Dorms have common kitchens and social rooms as well as easy access to laundry facilities.
In addition to campus-wide student activities, each dorm has its own events and traditions, including Kravis Olympics, Batch Jeopardy nights, Flagg Film Festival, Carter Cafe, and Palmer mid-term dance parties.
Day in the Life
What is a typical day like for a boarding student at Loomis? Let Nick, Lauren, Jasper, and Mattie take you through a day in their lives.
Genuine Admissions Podcast
Listen in to a few episodes of our Genuine Admissions podcast as Loomis Chaffee's Dean of Enrollment, Amy Thompson, provides some insight, guidance, and a healthy dose of perspective as families navigate the next step on their educational journey.
- What is life like in the dorms?
- What are my dining options on campus?
- What is there to do on the weekends?
- How are dorm and roommate assignments made?
- When will I find out about my housing and my roommate?
- I am interested in all-gender housing. Does Loomis have that option available?
- Will I be able to contact my roommate before school starts?
- What furniture is provided in each dorm room?
- What do I need to bring to school?
- Will I get homesick?
- How will my child be supported at Loomis?
- When and how often can I visit my child?
- How can parents of boarding students get involved with the school?