At a Glance
Sheila Culbert, Ph.D., Head of School
Jim O’Donnell, Director of the Summer Program
The Loomis Chaffee Summer Program offers boarding and day students a five-week Enrichment Program with courses in a variety of disciplines; two-week Immersion Programs in entrepreneurship, global citizenship, microbiology, writing, and Spanish; and Math Academy courses for students seeking to accelerate their studies. The Summer Program is offered by The Loomis Chaffee School, an internationally renowned boarding school, located in the heart of New England.
Great teachers leading small classes filled with motivated students. That’s our recipe for success. Our faculty includes talented teachers from Loomis Chaffee and other area schools. Passionate about their craft, our teachers set the tone for a joyful learning experience. In addition, we attract a core of teaching interns – aspiring educators who assist in the classrooms, dormitories, and student activities
What makes the five-week Enrichment Program truly unique is our emphasis on self-exploration, character development, and your capacity to make a positive difference in your community. This is our Best Self Curriculum — intentional experiences and times of reflection designed to help you begin to discover the best version of yourself and inspire in you a commitment to serve and advance the common good.
- 300-acre campus located in Windsor, Connecticut
- 6 miles from the capital city of Hartford, approximately 2 hours from NYC and Boston
- Campus is adjacent to an Amtrak train station and 10 miles from Bradley International Airport
- 4 dormitories
- Brand new Scanlan Campus Center and dining halls
- Pearse Hub for Innovation
- Katharine Brush Library
- Arts facilities include Norris Ely Orchard Theater, Richmond Art Center, and Hubbard Music Center
- Athletics facilities include 17 playing fields; an all-weather eight-lane track; a 5K cross country course; 12 award-winning Har-Tru tennis courts; a six-lane 25-meter pool; fitness center; two weight rooms; a double gymnasium; squash courts; dance studio; and training room.
- Summer Program traditions including the annual talent show, family-style dinners, experiential excursions, and s’mores in the quad.
- Athletics include badminton, basketball, cardio & weight training, soccer, squash, swimming, tennis, and ultimate frisbee (offerings may vary.)
- Local trips to New York City or Boston, amusement parks, minor league baseball and professional soccer games, movie theaters, shopping malls, hiking and biking trails, and other local attractions.
*Test Prep courses can be taken independently or as a part of the 5-week Enrichment Program or the Math Academy Geometry course.
To register for the SSAT or SAT Test Prep course independent of any other program, please contact the Summer Program.
For more than 25 years, Summit Educational Group has been preparing students to maximize their scores on standardized tests. Whether a student plans to apply to boarding school (SSAT) or selective colleges (SAT), the answer is simple: no other company offers the quality, results, and care found in a Summit program. Summit knows that every school has a unique student body with different needs, and they customize the best program for each school's students and culture.
During the first session, students in both the SSAT and SAT class will take a diagnostic exam. Based on the results of the diagnostic exam, the instructor will be able to tailor the instruction to the needs of the individual students in the class. A follow-up practice test will be given towards the end of the course, allowing the students and instructor to determine areas of improvement and areas that still need further attention. Instructors will provide each student with a progress report at the end of the program, assessing their performance across each test subsection and providing feedback on areas to focus on. By the completion of the course, students will have a comprehensive understanding of what to expect on test day.
The SSAT Preparation Class will cover general test-taking strategies with a focus on strengthening core skills. Mathematics topics covered will include arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. Verbal topics covered will include synonyms, analogies, and reading comprehension.
The SAT Preparation Class will cover general test-taking strategies with a focus on strengthening core skills. Mathematics topics covered will include problem solving and data analysis, algebra, advanced algebra, geometry and trigonometry. Evidence-Based Reading and Writing topics covered will include reading comprehension, grammar, rhetorical analysis, and the essay.
*Both classes meet on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays in the afternoons. In addition, there are two practice exams scheduled on separate Sundays during the program. Dates and times of the practice exams will be announced prior to the students’ arrival on campus.